Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Google Vision

It has been officially announced that the Google Glass product is now for sale in the US. I heard about this product a few months ago when I was doing research for a paper on Google. I've been very impressed with what I've heard about the glasses' abilities, and it seems like technology is reaching new heights these days. The glasses come with a hefty price of $1,500 so only a select few members of society will be sporting them this summer. 

Glass has a lot more features since I've last looked at the product site, here. The product is designed with a lot of similar features that a smartphone could provide, without having to carry the phone with you while you go on adventures. The glasses are designed to help navigate, aid in sports, send messages, complete searching, and my personal favorite feature; photo and video capture. I think it'd be fascinating to be doing some sort of action, and be able to video tape what I am seeing and from my sight lines. Haven't you ever had those moments where you are witnessing something so beautiful that you wish you could store it away so you'd be able to see it later? Now we can. But of course it costs $1,500.

Once the product is past it's "Exploration" phase and they have gotten enough consumer feedback, I can only imagine that the price will lower and we will start seeing these glasses in various establishments. Glasses with the abilities of the internet have the power to change the way surgeons operate, scientists study, and how we explore the world around us. Is such power a good thing though? With such capabilities, the glasses will undoubtedly be used to steal card numbers, cheat on exams, etc. Hopefully they are considering the possibilities of how to negatively use the glasses are being considered. In the mean time, I sure hope I can get my hands on one of these to test them out! 

1 comment:

  1. I want Glass so badly! Why can't I be rich?

    And actually, you still do need to carry a phone around. Glass borrows it's internet connection. But you don't have to remove it from your pocket!

    ReplyDelete