Friday, May 2, 2014

Fitness Apps: How Helpful Are They?

I was surprised to discover that one of the most popular ways that people are getting in shape these days are not going to the gym; they are using the MyFitnessPal application for smartphones. The app does everything from count the number of steps that the person takes while holding the phone to tracking every meal. Who needs a personal trainer when your phone is telling you what you can and can't eat?

According to the CEO of the app Mike Lee, the average user loses around 10 pounds in 30 days. Most people can't get those types of results that easily from a variety of diets and workout programs. What's the secret?? Apparently people often snack when they are bored or emotional, and they are not even hungry. We also often eat the entire portion size that we are given at restaurants instead of stopping when we are full. I think that this app can be really effective, and I know personally I like to keep track of the duration and distance when I run. Although the dynamic app can create a health-conscious attitude, it can also aid to the obsession with weight loss. Every time that I eat, I don't want to have to count every single calorie and "worry about getting fat" if I go over my limit. I also know plenty of people that already know they wouldn't be honest with themselves on the app, and they would lie about what they ate. How beneficial.

I did cave and download the MyFitnessPal app, but I have yet to actually take the time to use it. It doesn't mean I don't care about my health and fitness, but I also want to continue appreciating my body and allowing myself to indulge once in a while. 

Even though it doesn't feel like it in Chicago, bathing suit season is approaching. Is it time to download your fitness app? Or is this your new favorite eCard?


You decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment