Sunday, April 13, 2014

Why Do We Google?

Google is one of the most powerful media conglomerates of our time, and I am guilty of using the search engine over ten times a day. In my opinion, there are many factors that make Google superior to its competitors like Bing or Yahoo. Long ago I downloaded Google Chrome because I thought that Internet Explorer was too slow in loading every page, and we look for speed in our quality technology. I also thought that Explorer was too cluttered with the tool bars and various pop up windows. I attempted to open Explorer while writing this in order to look at an example, and it failed in loading and proceed to shut down. My point exactly.

Chrome also allows for the user to personalize the background of the web page, so we can choose how it looks. I have definitely taken advantage of this feature, and it adds to the overall look of the browser that each user can make their own. Bookmarks are listed right under the URL tab, and the browser itself is not overcrowded. Firefox never loaded any applications or pages for me...so it was never in consideration.

Clearly I'm a Google advocate. But the company has many different properties with YouTube, Gmail, Google+, Google Docs, etc. I have used all of those apps, and millions of other people have as well. Does that mean we are addicted to Google? Not necessarily. I said earlier that I use Google over ten times a day, but they were for various reasons. I Google to find restaurant hours and phone numbers, ingredients in food products since I have an allergy, the lyrics to a particular song, etc. Google can be used as a translator or a calculator, and it can be used to find breaking news or book previews. It has become such an incredible resource, and when people don't know an answer to something it is a quick and reliable with credible sources.

If people didn't have Google or internet, they would have to search books or newspapers for their answers, which is takes much more time. Books and other print materials are a wonderful source, but we often don't have the luxury of time to head to the library every time we wonder about a topic. Google gives us the information at our finger tips and allows us to be informed in the matter of seconds. It's not dangerous; it's an opportunity. If not Google, it would be another internet source that we would use consistently because we are carrying smart phones and not libraries. I think we have enough knowledge about privacy issues to make our own decisions on what we want accessible to other users. In a way Google allows for our independence on forming our own opinions and having access to information on current topics. What's wrong with wanting to know more information on a certain subject? Google urges us to be curious and ask questions, so we might as well ask them.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Amanda. I'm not sure I agree that Google always leads us to the best information. In a sense, the results Google returns in response to a query ARE what make up our minds. Not informed scholars, trusted religious leaders, wise intellectuals or artists...but a computer program is what is ultimately giving us the material we use to make up our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point! It's up to us as the users to compare the information from multiple sources, and we can decide whether or not we trust the information. Obviously not everyone takes the time to do that, and we can be manipulated by the information that pops up first on our results list. But I also think that we form our opinions, and I return to the agenda-setting theory: the media can't tell us what to think but simply what to think about.

    ReplyDelete