Wednesday, April 23, 2014

How Do You Read?

Our millennial generation is already known for not reading books for pleasure as frequently as previous generations. My parents were avid readers when I grew up, so reading became a natural hobby for my sister and I. I know from experience that many of my peers despise reading novels for enjoyment, and I can't begin to tell them what they're missing. But with the internet now...who needs books?

I think we do. Even though information on the internet is a lot cheaper and faster to obtain, there is something special about cracking open a new book with a new adventure to lose your mind in. I'm not totally old school though, and I do use an Amazon Kindle more often than buying new books at the store. It's more portable, costs less, and doesn't crowd my shelves. Some people refuse to use electronic forms of reading books, but I find it extremely convenient. I wouldn't want to stare at my iPad for hours on end, and the Kindle almost appears like a normal book page. 

I think reading is a valuable hobby that should not be forgotten. Even if it has to be done on an electronic device. 

1 comment:

  1. Books. Records. VHS. Nostalgia isn't worth as much as it used to be. Someday they'll invent a replacement for reading.

    ReplyDelete